Wednesday, 8th October 2014

The History of the Australian Bloodhorse

Frequently Asked Questions

You are here:   Home » Horse Insurance » FAQ

What type of horses can be insured?

All types of horses can be insured including:






Syndicated Horses

Equestrian Horses and Hacks


Cutting Horses

Rodeo & Time Event Horses

Part Ownership - Can I insure my share?

Yes. Syndication is now a very regular form of ownership and each individual shareholder can insure each share separately.

At what age can my horse be insured?

A foal can be insured at 24 hours after birth with a satisfactory report confirming it is in good health completed by a licensed veterinarian.  Bloodwork including IgG test results are required on newborn foals.

Is it more costly to insure a young foal?

Yes, the rates required for foals from 24 hours after birth to 90 days of age are generally higher than the normal rates.  However these usually reduce at 8 days of age and again at 30 days of age, if you are willing to wait until your foal is that bit older to insure it.  The reason is simple; the risk is greater for these young horses in this early developmental period.  The higher rate on foals allows the insurance company to offer a lower rate during most of your horse's life.  If you insure your young foal for the cost of the breeding (usually up to 2 times the stud fee paid to produce the foal is acceptable by the insurance company), then your insurance cost during the first year will not be that great and you will be covered for the expenses you incurred to produce the foal.

Will my horse ever be too old to insure?

Most breeds are insurable at the normal rates through to age 12.  Older horses in good health can be insured, but the annual cost of the insurance will increase each year as they get older.

Why should I purchase veterinary fee coverage on my equestrian horse?

Since the mortality insurance policy requires that you do whatever possible to maintain the health of your horse, you could possibly be faced with unexpected expenses if your horse requires expensive medical treatment or even surgery as a result of an injury or illness.  The veterinary fee endorsements help cover these costs.

What do I need to do to begin insurance coverage on my horse?

It's simple!  Phone or email our office, or follow the ‘Contact Us’ link on our website to complete and submit a contact form.  An application is required on each horse to be insured.  A satisfactory report completed by your veterinarian is required for horses valued at greater than $10,000 and less than 45 days of age or over 12 years old and any stallion requiring infertility coverage.  A health statement completed and signed by you confirming the good health and health history of your horses is all that is required for other horses.  If your horse has had prior health abnormalities, a vet exam may be required to provide full details of the prior incidents and confirmation of full recovery.  If all information is order, interim coverage can usually be bound immediately.

How can I justify the value for insurance on my horse?

If this is a recent purchase, the purchase price will be the amount of coverage accepted by the insurance company for your insurance policy.  If your purchase occurred in the past, we will need to know if your horse has been in training, shown or raced or if a stallion or mare, if it has been breeding and producing foals.  If the amount of insurance requested is more than your purchase price, we will require justification for this increase by way of show or race record, produce record (average sale price of foals sold) or an appraisal by a certified equine valuer or trainer familiar with your horse. We have forms available on our website to assist you in providing us with the information necessary to justify the value of your horse for the insurance policy.

How do I make a claim?

Notifying any injury or illness promptly is the owner's responsibility.  Failure to quickly notify Logans may jeopardise any future claim on your policy.  The procedure is to notify Logans of any injury or illness and obtain veterinary attention.  If the horse dies you should also notify Logans immediately and you will need a post mortem with identification recorded by an independent veterinarian.  As the owner you are required to complete a claim form.  Your vet also is required to do the same.

I plan to geld my young colt.  This is elective surgery.  Am I required to notify the insurance company?

Yes, the insurance policy specifically requires notification of any surgery whether elective or not.  Except in the case of emergency life-saving surgery, prior notification needs to be given to Logans. If you do not make us aware of the planned procedure, you may jeopardise any future claim on your policy.

Do you offer insurance to cover a horse if it gets out of a property/agistment facility and then hurts someone?

For a horse used for pleasure riding the Logan Equestrian Cover has an additional cover for public liability which covers your negligence in these kinds of circumstances.For horses used for business purposes we suggest you to speak to your local insurance broker. .  Logans do not offer this type of public liability.


Do I need to include the GST component in my sum insured?

In 95% of cases the answer is NO.

The Australian Tax Office (ATO) has made provision for the GST component of claims on the basis that the purpose of insurance is to put you in the same position after the claim as before.

In this regard, if you are registered for GST you can claim back the GST component when you purchase the horse and insurance on the animal.  GST therefore has negligible effect and in the event of a claim you receive the limit of liability without any GST.  In your BAS you put down the claim proceeds as a GST Free receipt.

If you are not registered for GST and paid GST on the premium you receive the limit of liability from the insurer and an additional 10% which Logans pay out on behalf of the ATO. Therefore, if your limit of liability is $10,000 then you would receive a cheque from Logans for $11,000 ($10,000 from the insurer and $1,000 from the ATO).

On the odd occasion where GST is not paid on the premium, such as a high valued animal and the Underwriting service is physically done overseas, then no GST applies.  If you are not registered for GST then the limit of liability could include the GST component if you wish.